{24 Days) Day #7 Lessons Learned ~ Once bitten twice shy


When I started blogging I had so many ideas of what I wanted to call my blog, as months went on found myself in need of a new name because I did not feel the name I had for my blog fit who I was (am) at the time and/or what I wanted to portray. My main blog AJD was originally called ‘Myrabev’s world’ this quickly changed to ‘Myrabev against the world’ then changed to ‘purely-by-accident’ (I am sure I have skipped a couple of names in there). I stayed with PBA for almost 9 months before I decided to change it to AJD. Now what I did not do before changing my blog name and URL was research, I think if I had researched this thoroughly I would not have experienced the heartache of every new blogger ‘losing comments’ and ‘losing followers’ – I know people say if they were true followers they would have found you and moved with you but it’s kinda hard when the URL does not work and due to too many name changes people do not know what to search for. Anyway here are some of‘do not do’ tips for new bloggers (even the oldies who might not know).
@Reese22 blogger is where I lost it all and I did it incorrectly because I was using Google+ comments
— Myrabev (@MyraBev) November 2, 2014

Google+ comments: If you have installed and use google plus comments do not and I repeat do not change URL before switching the google+ comments option off first. I did receive the warning but I did not fully understand it and I was eager to change the URL to match my blog name. I lost all my comments (even if there weren't that many) but I was utterly devastated, I felt like I had lost the connection with my readers, some had shared some wonderful thoughts with me and that was the most important part, the message in those comments not necessary the comment themselves to be honest.

Bloglovin: If you change your blog URL make sure you e-mail bloglovin helpdesk and inform them of this change, obviously they will do security checks which prove you're the owner of the said blog but it’s totally worth it because if your blog URL does not match your bloglovin URL it becomes a problem of soughts e.g. none of your posts from the URL will be displaying.


Other social media:  Remember, who the tweets with the old URL will become invalid in that if someone clicked on them they would go nowhere. Remember to go back and change the URLs (if possible) hence important to do this at the beginning or not at all. If other networks depend on your ‘old URL’ they will no longer be able to reach you so it’s important to be mindful of this.

These are my three top tips of what not to do or what to be aware of when changing URLs etc. What are some of your tips of what not to do?


Labels: ,

::The Myrabev Life::: {24 Days) Day #7 Lessons Learned ~ Once bitten twice shy

Friday, November 07, 2014

{24 Days) Day #7 Lessons Learned ~ Once bitten twice shy


When I started blogging I had so many ideas of what I wanted to call my blog, as months went on found myself in need of a new name because I did not feel the name I had for my blog fit who I was (am) at the time and/or what I wanted to portray. My main blog AJD was originally called ‘Myrabev’s world’ this quickly changed to ‘Myrabev against the world’ then changed to ‘purely-by-accident’ (I am sure I have skipped a couple of names in there). I stayed with PBA for almost 9 months before I decided to change it to AJD. Now what I did not do before changing my blog name and URL was research, I think if I had researched this thoroughly I would not have experienced the heartache of every new blogger ‘losing comments’ and ‘losing followers’ – I know people say if they were true followers they would have found you and moved with you but it’s kinda hard when the URL does not work and due to too many name changes people do not know what to search for. Anyway here are some of‘do not do’ tips for new bloggers (even the oldies who might not know).

Google+ comments: If you have installed and use google plus comments do not and I repeat do not change URL before switching the google+ comments option off first. I did receive the warning but I did not fully understand it and I was eager to change the URL to match my blog name. I lost all my comments (even if there weren't that many) but I was utterly devastated, I felt like I had lost the connection with my readers, some had shared some wonderful thoughts with me and that was the most important part, the message in those comments not necessary the comment themselves to be honest.

Bloglovin: If you change your blog URL make sure you e-mail bloglovin helpdesk and inform them of this change, obviously they will do security checks which prove you're the owner of the said blog but it’s totally worth it because if your blog URL does not match your bloglovin URL it becomes a problem of soughts e.g. none of your posts from the URL will be displaying.


Other social media:  Remember, who the tweets with the old URL will become invalid in that if someone clicked on them they would go nowhere. Remember to go back and change the URLs (if possible) hence important to do this at the beginning or not at all. If other networks depend on your ‘old URL’ they will no longer be able to reach you so it’s important to be mindful of this.

These are my three top tips of what not to do or what to be aware of when changing URLs etc. What are some of your tips of what not to do?


Labels: ,

77 Comments:

At 7 November 2014 at 10:47 , Blogger Unknown said...

Some good tips here. I often wonder what would happen if I ever changed my blog name. (Will probably be when the kids move out) Now I know what not to do!

Laura x x x

 
At 7 November 2014 at 10:50 , Blogger Unknown said...

Great tips from anyone changing URL'S! I haven't changed mine since I started but it's useful to know in case the time comes! X

 
At 7 November 2014 at 10:50 , Blogger Francene Stanley said...

I've had a similar experience. I set up a blog called ... Year 2013 and blogged daily. When I made an new one for ... Year 2014, I lost most of my followers. Now, I'm dreading next year. After reading your notations, I think I'll continue on under Year 2014--maybe saying 'and beyond'. That should cover it.

 
At 7 November 2014 at 10:55 , Blogger Anosa said...

Thank you Laura, its important to do some research first

 
At 7 November 2014 at 10:55 , Blogger Anosa said...

Absolutely I think if you happy with what you have and do not intend on changing them you good

 
At 7 November 2014 at 10:56 , Blogger Anosa said...

I think adding and beyond will save you the heartache

 
At 7 November 2014 at 11:45 , Blogger CourtneyLynne said...

Fab tips for chasing urls!! I've known a few that have had issues with it so fabulous to read how to avoid if I ever wanted to change ;-)

 
At 7 November 2014 at 11:45 , Blogger Masshole Mommy said...

I have had my URL for over 4 years on WP. Before that I was on blogspot, but I had that url direct people to my new site,

 
At 7 November 2014 at 13:56 , Blogger Fiona said...

I changed my URL and was glad to have found that Bloglovin can transfer followers. Thanks for sharing these tips that people who want to change might not have been aware of.

 
At 7 November 2014 at 15:41 , Blogger Franc said...

I think it would really be important to keep the same url for familiarity. I was able to import my post to my new site and was able to keep the comments.

 
At 7 November 2014 at 16:20 , Blogger Unknown said...

those are great tips.. there is so many different outlets to get you out there..

 
At 7 November 2014 at 17:11 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the great tips. I never thought about what could happen by changing a blogs name.

 
At 7 November 2014 at 18:04 , Blogger Lisa said...

Such AWESOME Tips That VERY NICE OF YOU TO POST THIS SO THEY DON'T GO THROUGH WHAT YOU WENT THROUGH THANK YOU!!

 
At 7 November 2014 at 21:53 , Anonymous Erica Brooks said...

Good tips. Sometimes I think of changing to the Google comments system but wondered if I would lose all my current comments.

 
At 8 November 2014 at 00:34 , Blogger Unknown said...

Great tips! I have been thinking about changing how I do comments on my blog too!

 
At 8 November 2014 at 00:38 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great post, I honestly never thought of it before. I play around a lot with my blogs though, for sure!

 
At 8 November 2014 at 00:50 , Blogger RUSS said...

I was toying with the idea of using Google+ for my comments. I tried it, but disabled it for a few hours. I don't have solid plans yet of switching, but I'm a bit afraid of yes - losing all the comments in my blog. Google can be a bit tricky. The last time I "played" with it, I accidentally deleted my old blog & couldn't retrieve any bit of it. Thanks for the heads up, Myrabev.

 
At 8 November 2014 at 01:51 , Blogger Nina Say said...

Oh my gosh I am so sorry this happened! I would flip out if it happened to me.

 
At 8 November 2014 at 03:38 , Blogger Couponing in Central Florida! said...

Thank you for all of these tips. I've made mistakes too and it's so great to be able to learn and teach others from those mistakes

 
At 8 November 2014 at 03:46 , Blogger Ann B said...

These are really great tips. I will remember these if i change my url.

 
At 8 November 2014 at 03:58 , Blogger Liz Mays said...

I'll be changing my url within the next two months so I'm jotting notes. There are so many details to figure out.

 
At 8 November 2014 at 06:02 , Blogger Anosa said...

Thanks Courtney

 
At 8 November 2014 at 06:03 , Blogger Anosa said...

At that time I did not even consider moving over and redirecting my url and because I was changing the url there was no option to redirect

 
At 8 November 2014 at 06:04 , Blogger Anosa said...

I was happy when bloglovin told me they could change my blog url so i could keep all my followers

 
At 8 November 2014 at 06:05 , Blogger Anosa said...

Wish I had known that then but anywho learn lesson lol

 
At 8 November 2014 at 06:05 , Blogger Anosa said...

Absolutely and thanks

 
At 8 November 2014 at 06:05 , Blogger Anosa said...

You're welcome x

 
At 8 November 2014 at 06:05 , Blogger Anosa said...

Thanks Lisa, I appreciate that x

 
At 8 November 2014 at 06:07 , Blogger Anosa said...

If its google to google then no even to some most known commenting systems but they will not appear the same way they did in whatever system you using now. Say for example if you using Disqus and you have comments which you have replied to when you revert to google comments it will not link the comment and your response it will put then separate.

 
At 8 November 2014 at 06:08 , Blogger Anosa said...

Changing commenting system from my experience has not been the issue its changing url especially if your commenting system is with google plus

 
At 8 November 2014 at 06:09 , Blogger Anosa said...

Anytime, be careful with google+ commenting system but normal google comments i have found to be just fine and its what i am using now

 
At 8 November 2014 at 06:10 , Blogger Anosa said...

Thank you

 
At 8 November 2014 at 06:10 , Blogger Anosa said...

Good luck and hope you don't lose any comments like me.

 
At 8 November 2014 at 06:11 , Blogger Anosa said...

Well I did but had to get over it quick and start re building

 
At 8 November 2014 at 06:19 , Blogger Unknown said...

Great tips! Trying to find out how to change my blog name too...

 
At 8 November 2014 at 06:37 , Blogger Esther JuLee said...

I have a second url that i want to eventually switch too.. but man this sounds like a lot of work. right now it just redirects.

 
At 8 November 2014 at 07:44 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the great tips, it really helps newbie bloggers like me.

 
At 8 November 2014 at 11:35 , Blogger Elizabeth O. said...

You are right on the tips. Thanks!

 
At 8 November 2014 at 11:44 , Blogger Unknown said...

There are so many things to consider before changing a URL. Since everything is tied to my current URL, I won't be changing anything.

 
At 8 November 2014 at 13:02 , Blogger Rebecca Swenor said...

This is awesome information for bloggers to pay attention to for sure. It is nice of you to share so other are aware. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 8 November 2014 at 17:59 , Blogger Taty said...

This really is something to consider. I haven't consider my blog vane but keeping thus handy

 
At 8 November 2014 at 19:54 , Blogger Unknown said...

Great tips!! sorry you had to learn the hard way, but your experience will surely help others, if that helps :)

 
At 8 November 2014 at 23:01 , Blogger Emilee said...

Great tips! I'll have to pin this! <333

 
At 9 November 2014 at 01:17 , Blogger Lynndee said...

Great tips! I never had problems with ours because we knew right then what our title and url would be.

 
At 9 November 2014 at 02:58 , Blogger Roch said...

These are useful tips! I haven't encountered those problems yet in Google+ comments and Bloglovin when I changed from Blogger to Wordpress

 
At 9 November 2014 at 08:04 , Blogger mail4rosey said...

All good information to know and remember for when I need it. I wouldn't have even thought of Bloglovin'. I'm glad they allow the switch.

 
At 9 November 2014 at 08:16 , Blogger HilLesha O'Nan said...

Thanks for the advice! I was wondering how I could change an old URL that Bloglovin' had. I'll definitely be emailing them to let them know that link has changed ages ago. :)

 
At 9 November 2014 at 11:25 , Blogger NJ @ A Cookie Before Dinner said...

That is great advice. I was thinking about doing a rebrand and have finally decided that it just isn't worth all of the hassle !

 
At 9 November 2014 at 17:46 , Anonymous jo said...

Thanks for the information about Google+ name change. I guess I am now sticking to mine and I feel sorry for the trouble it caused you.

 
At 9 November 2014 at 19:36 , Blogger Melissa said...

I'm just on Blogger, using blogspot, but I intend to keep my blog name once I get self hosting. An internet acquaintance actually came up with it, but it is beyond fitting that I don't think I could ever part with it.

 
At 9 November 2014 at 23:08 , Blogger Why Girls Are Weird said...

Ugh changing URLS or rebranding can be such a CHORE!

 
At 10 November 2014 at 04:38 , Blogger Carly said...

These are some great tips. Definitely good to know.

 
At 10 November 2014 at 05:27 , Anonymous Erin Kennedy said...

Super good tips. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 10 November 2014 at 05:27 , Blogger Unknown said...

Great tips! Thank you so much for the information. I use blogger myself and this is so good to know!

 
At 12 November 2014 at 16:57 , Anonymous Jessica Doll said...

These are great tips. It's been a really long time since I changed any URL's but I'll keep these in mind if I do.

 
At 17 November 2014 at 19:41 , Blogger Anosa said...

Thank you Brandy, glad was able to share some insight

 
At 17 November 2014 at 19:41 , Blogger Anosa said...

Thank you Ann

 
At 17 November 2014 at 19:42 , Blogger Anosa said...

I think so long as you dont change the url you should be fine or redirect

 
At 17 November 2014 at 19:43 , Blogger Anosa said...

I think if you redirect it should work but I did not have that luxury and I was also buying a domain

 
At 17 November 2014 at 19:43 , Blogger Anosa said...

Glad to help Shaney

 
At 17 November 2014 at 19:43 , Blogger Anosa said...

Thanks Elizabeth

 
At 17 November 2014 at 19:44 , Blogger Anosa said...

I agree so much to consider and so many networks we join as bloggers its important to be aware

 
At 17 November 2014 at 19:44 , Blogger Anosa said...

Thank you Rebecca

 
At 17 November 2014 at 19:45 , Blogger Anosa said...

Glad to hear this thanks

 
At 17 November 2014 at 19:45 , Blogger Anosa said...

Thanks, once beaten indeed

 
At 17 November 2014 at 19:45 , Blogger Anosa said...

Thanks Emilee

 
At 17 November 2014 at 19:46 , Blogger Anosa said...

I am glad to hear that, I had no clue what I wanted it to be before

 
At 17 November 2014 at 19:46 , Blogger Anosa said...

And I hope you dont

 
At 17 November 2014 at 19:47 , Blogger Anosa said...

I think Bloglovin have really done a great service by allowing to switch

 
At 17 November 2014 at 19:47 , Blogger Anosa said...

Not a worry, glad to have helped.

 
At 17 November 2014 at 19:48 , Blogger Anosa said...

Sorry if I have put you off, if you redirecting and keeping the old blog in background I think it should be fine. Or if you rebranding but keeping url then you should be fine

 
At 17 November 2014 at 19:48 , Blogger Anosa said...

Thank you, I should have read more about google+

 
At 17 November 2014 at 19:49 , Blogger Anosa said...

Glad to hear that and when you self host just redirect the url unlike me I deleted it

 
At 17 November 2014 at 19:49 , Blogger Anosa said...

Tell me about it but once done its great lol

 
At 17 November 2014 at 19:49 , Blogger Anosa said...

Thanks x

 
At 17 November 2014 at 19:50 , Blogger Anosa said...

Anytime x

 
At 17 November 2014 at 19:50 , Blogger Anosa said...

Glad to hear that Jessica x

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home