A few weekends ago I attend the Nuffnagg UK blogger workshop event (more info here), I was very happy to attend as was able to learn a lot and make new blogger friends. I picked up a lot of tips and some I will share in today’s post. Blogging for me was a way to pass time when I moved my life from family and friends for work and found myself alone. I would like to think it has developed into more than that now and though it is not always easy I have found it to be a fun experience one which I will not be trading up anytime soon. This workshop taught me more things that I just never really considered like Branding, I always thought of it as for bloggers who do blogging as a full time job or for companies who have brands they need to promote but I was informed that branding is important for every blogger, I am sure we all have blogging goals and where we would like to see our blog(s) reach and/or achieve.
“Blogging is an extension of you but it is not the whole you, have a life”
When one of the speakers said this I thought they were talking to me directly, though I try to have somewhat of a social life I am mostly indoors thinking of posts or ‘stalking’ other bloggers to see what they up to or getting ideas for my next posts. I seriously need a life even if it’s just with bloggy friends but at least it will be me outside the house (work and church don't count) socializing.
I learnt that as a blogger I need to be able to communicate my brand by:
· Knowing my audience and touching base
· Communicating consistently (not stalking your readers unless fellow bloggers – this is welcome)
· Embed your personal self into your brand
All these are great points which I am working on; one point which captured me was ‘Authenticity’. What does it mean and how can one achieve this?
· Being an expert – surely there is something that you’re good at maybe DIY, maybe how-to videos etc. I am still working on this but I think doing relationship advice post is something I am told from feedback I am good at so working to improve on this.
· Genuine – Readers appreciate genuine bloggers because they can relate and mostly can tell when one is full of S***. I read about 20-30 blogs a day and there some that I can see there is so much bull but I don’t want to judge so I stay away and read the ones I think the blogger behind this is human like me.
· Have integrity in everything you do – what is integrity to you? I think having integrity is a personal choice; it’s about having strong morals and being the honest you that you can be.
· Be original, figure out which type of blogger you are. Are you a people pleaser or someone who pays too much attention to other bloggers? Personal branding needs to work for you and not focus on what works for others.
· Be Passionate –Your blog(s) is/are your baby, take care of it like an egg. Do I do this all the time; I would like to think so.
· Have a vision of where you want to take your blog – I know where I want to be with my blog but I also know the road to that point is not always bright and easy to navigate.
· Be honest to yourself and to your readers - As I have already alluded to, fellow bloggers and readers can see when some is full of it so being honest is important. I am not saying put your dirty laundry on line like me but just be true to yourself and your readers will see this and will come back for me. As one speaker said “People buy People”.
This is part one of this amazing workshop and hope to share more soon or in the New Year. What are your thoughts on the topics have touched on above? How important is branding to you?
Labels: blogging, Event